Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ryan Reynolds and Pine Trees

I arrived!!! I'm officially a Canadian (at least in my mind), now that I've been here for about 3 hours. I'm at my uncle's place, it's about 7:30 p.m. Canada time (9:30 back home), and to be honest, I just want to go to bed. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, not because I was so excited I couldn't sleep or anything, but I'm mostly just a poor planner. I didn't finish packing my luggage until about 2 in the morning, after I had a couple of friends over to hang out and watch a movie. Probably should have spent that time getting ready, but I'm here, I don't think I forgot anything, and it's alll good!

My flight left at 11:45 this morning from Minneapolis to Seattle, and this is my first trip since I graduated and am now a revenue passenger. I dont liiiiike paying for plane tickets! And I never knew that normal people also have to pay for luggage! 40 bucks for two bags! What kind of crap is that?? At least I'm gonna be making some money up here..

Anyway, I arrived in Seattle, no probs, with about a three hour layover till my flight to Vancouvsie. I made a couple phone calls to some friends, since I have limited phone access while I'm up here, and then decided to get some lunch. So I went over to the airport food court, and there was a Burger King (blech) and a America's Greatest Bagel Co. (or something along those lines). Clearly, bagel sandwiches > gross burgers.

So I picked out the bagel I wanted (asiago and sundried tomato-toasted), what I wanted on my bagel (chicken salad) and the extras (lettuce and tomato). I also wanted to save some money so I decided NOT to get a beverage, and just fill up my water bottle. However, when I got up to the checkout with my bagel sammy, the cashier told me the total was $10.45. Ten dollars and forty five cents for a bagel sandwich!!! Needless to say, I was pretty appalled as I paid her. I don't know if they charge two extra dollars for a toasted bagel, or what is in that chicken salad, but it was quite shocking.

After I ate my overpriced sandwich, the airport had free wifi (yay!) and I scoped out the internet till I flew off to my final destination. It is so warm up here! I was very surprised that I had to immediately strip off my winter jacket for the 4-10 degree Canadian weather (they use Celsius up here, silly!). I guess they are even having issues with some of the mountains because the snow is melting. Yikes.

Another exciting thing today was getting my Olympic accreditation set up, so now I am an official Olympic worker, with an ugly badge with an even uglier photo. But, this lil badge can basically get me anywhere in Vancouver fo' free, including all of the Olympic venues. Pretty sweet eh??



I'm getting super tired now, not only have I been traveling all day, but I've been traveling all day with three large suitcases and a backpack. I definitely looked like one of those annoying traveler/tourists going all over the city dragging my enormous bags of luggage. Little do they know, I can hardly coordinate myself anyway. Not to mention, once I made it off the airplane, through the airport, on the seabus across the river, and on the actual bus to my uncle's street with all my bags, I had to drag them two blocks in the dark to get to his house. Not one of my finest moments.

So tomorrow I'm off to pick up my uniforms, which I've now seen and are bright blue and make everyone look like smurfs, hah. So I'm heading to bed,and looking forward to starting work on Monday!! Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes and to anyone who's reading this!

Peace, love, and tootsie pops.
A

1 comment:

  1. A, im totally in love with your lesbian braid! bahaha, and the prison pic on your badge! glad to read that you made it safely, enjoy your time in vancouvsie!

    ReplyDelete