Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I've got something to put in you

Another busy week up here in Vancouver. I had another awesome weekend, my friend Sami who lives in Alberta came to visit me, which was so fun. She was my neighbor in Australia and I haven't seen her in two years, so it was so exciting for her to be able to make time and come for a short visit during the games.

Since it was the second weekend since the games have started, the city has been busier than ever. There are honestly walls of people walking down the streets at night and every bar has about an hour wait. Luckily, on Friday night, I was able to get to a media party for people like me working in broadcasting and similar departments so there was essentially no line and a bunch of my friends from work were there as well. Soooo much fun! Almost perfect night except for the fact that my camera was stolen (super sad face). Really bummed about that, but I've been trying to make due with taking other people's photos and using Scott's camera. I spent the rest of the weekend with Sami going around the city and letting her take in the Olympic experience in Vancouver. Both Saturday and Sunday nights we got tickets to the Victory Ceremonies at the stadium downtown, which were super fun. I got wicked close to athletes Apolo Ohno and Shani Davis as they were awarded their medals. An amazing experience. Hopefully I will be able to get Sami's photos from those nights because I have none at the moment.

Work has been the usual, hanging out in the runner's lounge, getting free massages, tracking down celebs. We got a photo with Wayne Gretzky on Monday after waiting for him outside of his interview room for a half hour! Kind of a grump, actually. I also saw Bob Costas at the IBC the other day, and I got a bit starstruck, because he pretty much rocks. Saw him on the escalator going up as we were going down and I told him I was a huge fan. He probably gets that all the time, but I'm sure I made an impact.


I've actually been so spoiled with this job with OBS and I think I've even started to take for granted how sweet the place is. Like, how awesome is it to spend my day searching for celebs in the building, or to be walking to the cafe and look over and see NBC filming live footage for the Olympics just a few feet away. Or to be able to watch the games on TV and see the news anchors talking and know that they are filming at that exact moment somewhere close in the same building where I am. I'm getting pretty depressed thinking that I'm already leaving so soon, right after I'm getting really settled in my life here. I really love most of the people I work with, there's always something to do in and out of work, and just being included in the Olympic spirit has been incredible.

For example, last night I took a spur of the moment trip to Whistler with my friend Emma from work. We left work at 5, got up to the mountain around 7, and I had to be back in the city by 9 this morning for another day of work. We met up with my friend Benny, who is from Australia, and another person I studied with when I went abroad. He's been working up there since December and hooked us up by getting us into "The Fray" concert and a few bars around the village. I caught the 6:00 bus back this morning, and needless to say, have been pretty tired all day. Totally worth it though, and I might as well take advantage of the opportunities I can take with my access to the games.



I'm looking forward to the weekend already, hopefully I can make another trip up to Whistler on Saturday, and if I can get Friday off as well, there is a free Girl Talk concert that I'd die to get to. We have an OBS party Sunday night, but with the end of the games approaching, the work around here is gonna start to get crazy again.

Well, I'm super tuckered out after last night and working all day, so I'm probably gonna get to bed. Post more soon. Goodnight!

 Peace, love, and nachos.
A


P.s. Have you guys been watching the games?? They have been incredible! Every sport has had some amazing competitions and performances. GO USA!

1 comment:

  1. A, Sounds like you are having a blast! Your blogs are great--you really get across what it's like to be there in Vancouver. And yes, the games have been awesome. I haven't been able to watch as much as I'd like but I can't until the Gold medal men's hockey game! Go USA!

    ReplyDelete